Recipe: Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars
Author & Photographer: Susan Kixmoeller
These rich and indulgent peanut butter bars are my family’s favorite, especially around the holidays. People often remark that they taste like gourmet Reese’s peanut butter cups. These bars consist of a crunchy and delicious peanut butter base topped with a creamy and fudgy layer of chocolate ganache.
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups crushed graham crackers
1 cup peanut butter (I prefer creamy)
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
8 ounces semisweet baking chocolate
1 cup heavy cream
Sea salt (if desired)
1.Prepare an 8x8 baking pan by coating it with butter or nonstick baking spray. Set aside.
2.Crush the graham crackers to your desired consistency. The crackers should be in very small chunks, but not small enough to form a powder. I use a food processor.
3. Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
4. Combine the graham crackers, powdered sugar, peanut butter, melted butter, and kosher salt in a large bowl. Stir until combined.
5. Pack your peanut butter mixture into your pan, spreading it evenly.
6. Chop your semisweet baking chocolate roughly. Place in a medium sized bowl.
7. Heat your heavy cream in a small saucepan until small bubbles form and pop along the edges of pan. Pour the cream over the chocolate and whisk until the chocolate melts and the mixture is completely smooth.
8. Pour the chocolate ganache over the peanut butter mixture.
9. If desired, evenly sprinkle sea salt over the ganache.
10. Refrigerate until set, at least one hour. Enjoy!