Vanilla Almond Scones
Author & Photographer: Sydney Smith
With the second half of the quarter rapidly approaching, we are reminded that time is of the essence. This means early mornings, many cups of instant coffee, and some skipped breakfasts that may leave one feeling off balance. However, at Bite, we’ve got you covered with the perfect treat that will restore your morning’s harmony: vanilla almond scones. These scones are a convenient and easy grab-and-go breakfast.
2 ½ cups of all purpose flour
1 tbsp of baking powder
½ cup sugar
1 large egg
½ cup heavy cream
1 tbsp of vanilla extract
1 ½ tsp of almond extract
¾ cups of salted butter
½ cup of powdered sugar
2-3 tbsp of heavy cream
(Optional: Replace heavy cream with lemon juice)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, sugar and baking powder until combined.
Cut cold butter into cubes, and combine with flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
In a separate bowl, combine heavy cream, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Gently whisk egg into milk mixture, and gradually add milk mixture to flour mixture until combined.
5. On a lightly powdered surface, divide the dough into two parts.
6. Knead the dough into two separate balls.
7. Using a rolling pin or hands, flatten each ball into a disk of ½ inch thickness, and cut each disk into 8 wedges.
8. Place each wedge on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake just until the edges on the scones turn golden brown.
9. Once out of the oven, remove scones from baking sheet and place on a cooling rack. Allow scones to cool for 30 minutes before icing.
Recipe adapted from https://www.stuckonsweet.com/vanilla-scones/